Best Consideration Date: 10/21/2022
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND
COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL RESOURCES
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND EXTENSION
Location: The office is located at the Wye Research & Education Center, in Queenstown, Maryland and provides programming throughout the state.
Purpose: University of Maryland Extension is seeking to hire a full-time woodland stewardship educator position on a 12-month contractual basis with benefits that can be renewed annually depending on funding availability. The focus of the position will be to develop and implement woodland stewardship programs for private woodland owners, natural resource professionals and manage and implement the Maryland/Delaware Master Logger program in cooperation with partner organizations and the Master Logger Steering Committee.
Coordination with University of Maryland Extension Natural Resource Specialists, Maryland Department of Natural Resources Forest Service and the Master Logger Steering Committee is expected. This position will report to the Assistant Director for Environmental and Natural Resource programs at College Park for program direction and the Assistant Director for Extension Operations for personnel matters.
• Develop and implement UME’s Woodland Stewardship Program (60%)
o Coordinate the development and implementation of woodland stewardship Extension and education programs in cooperation with UME Natural Resources Specialists at WMREC, as well as other UME educators & specialists.
o Develop publications, web resources, and other educational materials on woodland stewardship,invasive species, allied programs such as Call Before You Cut, and other relevant topics.
o Partner with woodland owners, professionals, and other organizations to provide educational programs, including some aimed at youth and diverse demographics.
o Work with: MD DNR-Forest Service, Tree Farm, Maryland Forests Association, other Stateagencies and conservation organizations to promote woodland stewardship.
o Provide regular articles and material for the Branching Out Woodland Stewardship Newsletter that isproduced four times per year and distributed electronically to approximately 2,000 landowners and others.
o Provide input and occasional assistance for maintenance and resources on the Maryland Woodland Stewardship webpage, www.extension.umd.edu/woodland.
o Seek and obtain grant funding to support and develop programs.
o Implement a backyard woodland program using the Woods In Your Backyard curriculum that will focuson landowners with small acreages and support contractor training through Natural Areas Management Training or similar programs.
• Develop, implement, and manage the Maryland/Delaware Master Logger program in cooperation with otherpartners. (40%)
o Develop & implement training curriculum via classroom and electronic media, coordinating with the Master Logger Steering Committee, Maryland Forest Service, and SFI contractors.
o Develop publications, web resources, and other educational materials to expand utility of the Master Logger Program for Maryland and Delaware loggers.
o Maintain accurate databases of Master Loggers and create a system for continuing educational updates.
o Edit and provide original content for the MD/DL Master Logger quarterly newsletter
o Maintain website using Drupal content management system.
o Maintain inventory of course materials, including printing and assembling manuals and otherdocuments, copying course CDs and DVDs
o Advertise training programs, collect registration funds, and manage registration materials.
o Coordinate with the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) and Master Logger Steering Committeeso Seek and obtain grant funding and other resources to support and develop programs.
• B.S. degree in forestry or closely related field from an accredited university.
• Excellent communications skills and the ability to write effectively
• Strong computer skills required in WORD, EXCEL, spread sheets and PowerPoint
• Personal transportation and a valid driver's license are required. Must be willing to travel throughout the cluster as well as the state of Maryland as needed.
• Flexible work schedule required for delivering evening and weekend educational programs and activities as determined by clientele availability and needs.
• Evidence of capacity to build UME Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Respect capacity through Extension program model.
• This position is subject to a Criminal History Record Check and University of Maryland Background check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion and clearance of the Criminal History Record Check.
• M.S. preferred.
• Experience with developing and implementing educational programs for woodland landowners.
• Ability and willingness to work with volunteers.
• Qualifications for a Maryland Forest Registration/License is highly preferred (www.dllr.state.md.us/license/for/foraff.shtml)
Physical Demands of the Position:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• Nature of the Position: This position frequently presents information through vocal and written communication to individuals of various ages, socio-economic, and educational backgrounds.
• Physical Demands: A routine part of this position's responsibilities would be to transport materials to and from teaching/event locations, including loading and unloading the vehicle. The employee will frequently lift and/or move items weighing up to 20 pounds. Set-up and tear-down of displays, tables, and chairs would be necessary at many teaching sites.
• Environmental: Team-driven, office environment of professional character, competence, and collaboration. Deadline-driven in terms of program planning and reporting This position may require the employee to work in community or school environments.
• Visual Acuity: Visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data and presentations.
Salary & Benefits:
Salary will be a base of $41,435 per year for applicants with a Bachelor of Science Degree and $43,320 for those with a Master of Science Degree with additional compensation based on experience and related factors. This is a 12-month contract that can be renewed annually depending on availability of funding and adequate achievement of goals and objectives. The University of Maryland offers an extensive benefits package.
All candidates must apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu/ for position #113633. A complete application packet includes a letter of application, a current signed resume or Curriculum Vitae, transcripts (copy acceptable for applicationprocess, official transcripts required if offered the position), and three (3) references, including name, mailing address, telephone number, and E-mail address.
For best consideration, complete application by October 21, 2022. The position will remain open until suitable candidate has been identified.
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.